Sep 25 2010

‘M’ by Fritz Lang

Published by at 11:25 pm under Uncategorized

After I have watched ‘M’, I could read a lot of messages from this film.

At the beginning of ‘M’ , children were singing song which contains the idea of racial superiority and complexion. It is obviously that in the period of Second World War, German children were implanted some awful ideas, maybe through education (which was controlled by Nazi government )and they even didn’t realize how awful they were. ‘M’ has shoot many street scenes and I could barely see women on streets. As a result, I think the social status of women in that period are shown through these shots which women were mainly responsible for taking care of children. The scene in which the mother waiting for her child, I was getting more and more nervous, and was drawn more attention, since the mother kept wandering in the house and kept asking people if they had seen her child for several times.

My favorite part of the movie is about the detective thinking what the workers ( or labor union) were doing in the building where the murderer hided. I like that scene because Fritz Lang used long shot, medium shot and close-up and music to indicate the thinking process of the detective and to show how close the detective to the answer that is those workers was trying to catch the murderer who had already interrupted their working routine for a long time. I also really like the scenes that the music was played every time when the murderer was trying to find the next victim. The music is showing something ‘invisible’ !

In the scene of the murderer being caught and justified by the people. He was saying something like ‘…in present, it is so hard to be myself…’. Since Frtiz Lang fled to America during the Second World War, I think that Lang might be trying to show his opinion through the murderer‘s mouth. He wanted to show that , at that time, being himself and opposing to Nazi government were as guilty as the murderer. And through the plot of the murderer killing those children, he might be trying to represent that he wanted to ‘kill’ those nasty ideas about racial superiority just like the murderer killing those children.

And I do have a question about the beggars in ‘M’. I don’t understand why they could walk around the street without being suspected in the film?

5 responses so far

5 Responses to “‘M’ by Fritz Lang”

1.   Carlene Faithon 04 Oct 2010 at 9:31 am

I really like the way that you focused in on the song, which even though it was significant i sort of looked past it. I think that it is an important detail of the film that sets up the scene to say what time period it is, where it is, and what was going on at that point in time. I also really like the way you didn’t just comment on the things in the movie but instead went further in depth on it. Talking about social structure at that time was very good because you informed me of something i didn’t know when i watched the movie. You clearly researched a lot and i like that. I completely agree with your favorite part that scene was very good and shot so well. I think that Fritz Lang really did use such good cinematography like the shot type and sounds.

2.   Amy Herzogon 13 Oct 2010 at 12:40 pm

Really late with my comments, but you make such great observations here. My favorite line is about the music showing us something invisible!

In terms of the beggars not raising suspicions, I think this also has to do with the power structures and social biases of the time. The poor become invisible to everyone around them– almost less than human, which in this case, they use to their advantage in operating in plain sight without being detected.

3.   IJon 15 Oct 2010 at 11:58 pm

The women in the movie did seem pretty passive. In fact, there are barely any female actresses in the whole movie.
    You mentioned the scene where the murderer is explaining himself to the “jury”. He gives such a haunting speech. I like your theory that Lang is expressing his feelings through his character. I really love the irony that the murderer has to explain himself to people who are no less guilty than he is. I was actually glad that he was saved by the police.

4.   irene wenon 20 Oct 2010 at 11:04 am

i did not like that music they played when the criminal was looking for the next victim, i actually thought it was very creepy and scary!!! the only good thing about that music was that it created suspense!

5.   Carlene Faithon 21 Oct 2010 at 2:35 pm

(reposting my comment to make sure I get credit)

Trackback URI | Comments RSS